Apologia’s homeschool biology course for high school is part of Apologia’s award-winning Exploring Creation Series. With a strong emphasis on vocabulary and experiments, Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is a foundational course that covers everything students need to prepare successfully for a college-level biology course.
Overview of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Textbook
This softcover student textbook, Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is designed to be the student’s first high school science course. It is a college-prep biology course that provides a detailed introduction to the methods and concepts of general biology.
In this course, your student will:
- See the evidence of God’s creation as they learn scientific principles
- Conduct experiments in a methodical way that prepares them not just for future classes, but for life
- Take personal notes, conduct and record experiments, and be able to interpret results
- Develop skills to think through and beyond the textbook materials, and be able to create their own experiments from concept to interpretation of results
- Further develop skills in their own learning style and how they best process, record, study, and retain information learned
- Be able to hold a logical discussion on God and science based on facts and beliefs
What’s Inside Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Textbook?
Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, softcover student textbook covers everything students need to prepare for a college-level biology course. The materials are updated with deeper explanations of certain concepts, and new graphics help students understand the life sciences.
In the 3rd Edition, your student will find:
- Updated content to present the most current science
- A reorganized structure of the information, which helps students logically progress through their biological studies
- Experiments which have been updated or replaced, and the addition of new experiments
- New illustrations and infographics that help students break down and visually digest difficult concepts, in addition to updated images and illustrations
- New content, including a new section on photosynthesis and a new section on diseases.
An overhaul of the section on genetics, including more information on DNA
Experiments, Hands-On Activities, and Topics in Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
In this 3rd Edition, all experiments have been updated or replaced, and new ones added. The experiments come in three types: microscope labs, dissection labs, and household labs. Household labs use only common household equipment. The microscope labs, however, require a microscope and several prepared and blank slides, while the dissection labs require an additional dissection kit with specimens.
We recommend that students do every assignment in the textbook because they are each created to add value to the textual knowledge your student is gaining. As a homeschooling teacher, you have final say over what you expect your student to do or not do.
“Creation connection” and “think about this” call-outs help students see connections to a Designer and give students another way of thinking about a concept that they are studying. Our books are known for their conversational style, and these sections extend the conversation.
Topics covered include:
The Science of Life
- The processes of science, including what scientists do, the scientific method, the tools of science and the limitations of science
The Chemistry of Life
- The composition of matter, the properties of water, lipids, proteins, and enzymes
- Ecosystems, biomes, populations, and communities
Cell Structure and Function
- Characteristics of all cells
DNA, Proteins, and the Cell Cycle
- DNA replication, protein synthesis, and cell cycle & cellular reproduction
- Mendelian genetics, inheritance patterns, human genetics, and gene technologies
- Charles Darwin, micro and macroevolution, the geological column, and fossil record evidence
Prokaryotes and Viruses
- Classification, Archaea, Bacteria, and Viruses
Protists and Fungi
- Characteristics and classification
Plant Diversity and Reproduction
- Classifying plants and life cycle
Plant Structure and Function
- Plant anatomy and physiology, transporting water and nutrients, plant growth, hormones, and responses
Animals – Invertebrates (part 1)
- Characteristics and diversity
Animals – Invertebrates (part 2)
Animals – Chordates (part 1)
- Characteristics and diversity
Animals – Chordates (part 2)
Please note, this is the student textbook only. You will need the Solutions and Tests Manual to complete this course.